• JET TIMELINE
  • INTERAC TIMELINE
  • JET PERSONAL STATEMENT
  • Friday, June 23, 2017

    Starbucks American Cherry Pie Frappuccino


    American cherry pie Starbucks frappuccino
     You know, for as much as I say I don’t go to Starbucks, I’ve kind of been going to Starbucks a lot lately. As I’ve said many times before, I’m a sucker for limited edition snacks/drinks/any kind of promotion that comes out.

    However, Starbucks drinks don’t usually catch my eye. They’ve had some interesting sounding drinks, but nothing that I’d rush over to try… Until I saw the American Cherry Pie Frap. Now, I’m not a fan of cherries, but I love pie. And what makes this frap so special is that the dome is made of pie crust!

    Yes, you read that right. A cherry pie flavored frap with a pie crust top. I had to have it, so of course I marked the release date down on my calendar. I ended up going to Starbucks the day after its release, and there was a pretty long line. At first I thought the line was everyone who was as hyped as I was, but it turned out that it was just a busy location. (In fact, only two other people got the cherry pie frap out of more than 11 people.)

    American cherry pie Starbucks frappuccino

    But that didn’t stop me! And neither did the steep price tag. I can’t believe a tall was over 600 yen. But it was for this blog, so I had to do it. (Just kidding, it was for me and this post was just an afterthought.) I was ready. I paid and I got a special thicker straw for my drink. I was getting excited.

    American cherry pie Starbucks frappuccino
    I guess you can't really tell that it's thicker, but take my word for it!
    There was only one poor girl working the bar (two workers were ringing and one was cleaning the seating areas) so no wonder the line was long. But because she was slow, I got to watch how it was made.

    Apparently, the base is just a cream frappuccino. I’d never tried the cream base before, but it was pretty good on its own. But then a scoop of pie filling was scooped in the cup after the cream frap went in, as well as some tiny bits of pie crust. Then the premade dome was gently placed on top of my drink, and the regular plastic lid was placed on top of it.

    American cherry pie Starbucks frappuccino


    I noticed straightaway that there was no hole in the pie dome. I guess that’s what the thick straw was for—to pierce the shell. And so tried. And I tried again with a bit more force… Both times I was unsuccessful and I was just pushing the dome deeper into the drink and causing the liquid to seep up around the lid. Finally, summoning the power of Zeus himself, I broke through.

    Right away, I started drinking. I guess my straw wasn’t deep enough because I just tasted the cream frap. I dug a little deeper and got a big cherry chunk. It was almost exactly like cherry pie filling. It was the same chunks and the same sweet syrupy liquid surrounding it. Then I got a bit of pie crust and that really did it for me (I really like pie crust).

    I started mixing it around and drinking an it tasted better. If you leave it as is, there are pockets of cherry filling and crust in mostly cream. However, the single hole in the dome was making it hard to drink and mix, so I decided to start breaking up the crust—the whole reason I wanted this drink in the first place.

    In whatever kind of irony, the breaking up the crust caused my drink to get all over the place. Then, I realized it was too difficult to break the crust up into small pieces like the bits that were mixed into the drink. I just decided to scoop the big chunks of crust up with the straw to eat them as is.

    American cherry pie Starbucks frappuccino
    You can see my class schedule on my hand haha...

    I ended up throwing a good amount of it away. While the novelty of the whole thing was pretty cool (and it was the entire reason I got one), the execution was a bit of a miss. The crust was too hard (I assume to stop it from getting soggy if it hung out with the frap for too long) which made it difficult to break and eat.

    The frap itself was okay, and definitely nothing special. I think the cherry should’ve been mixed into the cream frap and a spoon of cherry filling should’ve gone in afterward. The drink tasted too boring as it was currently served. I definitely won’t be getting it again, but that’s not to say that I wasn’t happy that I got it in the first place.


    Keep an eye out for my next Starbucks post because I’m sure this won’t be the last...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment